Privacy Notice - Neighbourhood Management
Why we collect information about you
Kettering Borough Council (KBC) is a provider of social housing and needs to collect certain information about you and your household to carry out this service and other activities associated with managing your tenancy.
Other activities include:
- Managing your housing, tenancy/lease and rent account as your landlord (including garages)
- Property and grounds maintenance and repair
- Property adaptations
- Selling properties under the Right to Buy Scheme
- Provision of Supported Housing and Services
- Organising Community Events
- Mutual Exchange
- Tenant Support Services
- Tenant Passport
The categories of personal information we collect include the following:
Name, address, date of birth, National Insurance number, contact details, details of anyone authorised to act on your behalf if applicable, basic details of household members, banking details (if you pay your rent by direct debit)
Other personal information we may collect as required:
- Disabilities or vulnerabilities – to tailor our service to better meet your needs or for safeguarding situations
- Financial information, including benefits paid to you – to help resolve arrears payments and provide budgeting advice
- Health information – to support requests for adaptations
- Unspent convictions an financial information – to support applications for a Tenant Passport
- Other personal information which will vary on a case by case basis to help us resolve breach of tenancy, alleged anti-social behaviour or fraud
We take part in the Continuous Recording of Lettings and Sales in Social Housing in England, otherwise known as CORE, for all new tenancies and have done so since 2004. CORE provides the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) with details of all new lettings, including personal information for research and statistical purposes.
- The MHCLG has produced two Privacy Notice for your information.
- Privacy Notice – All tenants (PDF 229.5KB)
- Privacy Notice – New tenants (PDF 175.6KB)
- Any concerns about the use of your personal data in CORE should be addressed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
KBC does not normally process children’s information as part of a tenancy however, we may receive and record children’s basic information if they are resident in one of our properties if we are involved in the housing and tenancy aspects of a welfare case as part of a multi-agency approach.
How will we use the information we hold about you?
We will only ask for the minimum amount of information required to deal with your circumstances. We will use the information you provide along with information we obtain from third parties or partner agencies to:
- Respond to any service requests, feedback or complaints
- Keep you informed eg. Tenants’ Newsletter - Connect
- Allow access to our services and carry out transactions
- Provide you with information regarding our services
- Signpost you to the relevant organisation if we are unable to assist you directly
We will never sell or pass on your personal information for marketing purposes.
What is the basis for us to process your data?
As a local authority the Council has a legal duty to carry out many of its functions or is obliged to carry out tasks which are in the interest of the general public. Some services require you to enter into a contract with us such as a tenancy agreement. In some instances there may be a legitimate reason to process your information without your consent, for example, in an emergency life or death situation to protect yours or someone else’s vital interests. In any of these situations it is necessary for us to collect and process your personal information.
Sometimes we will need your consent to process your information, for example if you apply for the Garden Maintenance Service or other support services. In these circumstances you will have the choice whether or not to provide your personal information and you also have the choice to withdraw your consent at any time. If you choose not to supply your details, the Council may not be able to offer you some services.
Who we will share your information with
Your information will only be used for the purpose/s it was originally provided for and shared with the relevant members of staff. It will only be shared with other teams within the Council or partner agencies where necessary and the law allows or requires it, or to improve the service you receive.
We may pass on your personal information to law enforcement bodies such as the Police, government authorities and other organisations for the prevention and detection of crime or fraud.
Other organisations we may share your data with are (if the law allows or requires it, or if we have your consent):
- Partner and Multi Agency organisations
- Department for Work and Pensions
- Adult and Children’s Social Services
- External Contractors (for certain repairs and maintenance)
- Medical professionals
- Next of kin or family members
How long do we keep your records?
We will only keep your information for the minimum period necessary.
All information will be held securely and will be securely destroyed in line with our Corporate Retention Schedule.
For further information:
For details regarding your rights under Data Protection law or how to make a complaint if you think we have mishandled your personal information, please visit: www.kettering.gov.uk/privacy