Christmas in Kettering is coming soon!
The festive season is fast approaching, and we have a host of entertainment coming up for the whole family to enjoy safely, including a special celebrity guest Christmas message!
Although the annual BIG Switch On event has been cancelled this year due to COVID-19 restrictions, the Christmas celebrations are set to continue with the Virtual Christmas Light Switch On! All entertainment taking place in Kettering’s town centre will follow strict guidelines to ensure the safety of our visitors.
Kettering Borough Council is proud to announce that Kettering born comedian and actor, Hugh Dennis, will kick off the Christmas in Kettering 2020 celebrations by sending a special festive message at the Virtual Christmas Lights Switch On. You’ll be able to view the Outnumbered and Mock the week star’s Christmas message on the This is Kettering YouTube Channel and Facebook page on Thursday, 26th November, from 6pm.
You can meet Santa at his Lapland Lodge in an enchanted forest on Kettering’s Market Place from Friday 27th November – Thursday 24th December on selected days! New for 2020, The North Pole Productions in conjunction with Kettering Borough Council, have organised a magical Christmas for all the family, with social distancing in mind to keep everyone safe. The Lapland Lodge is open from 10am-4pm. For more details, visit thisiskettering.com/Christmas or call the booking office on 07535 226 522.
Markets are back with a sparkling surprise on the Market Place on the following dates:
- Teenage Market and Small Business Saturday: Saturday 5th December, 9am – 4pm
- Kettering Christmas Markets: Saturday 12th & 19th December, 9am – 4pm
As part of the Christmas festivities, and to support local businesses, there will be FREE parking in all Kettering Borough Council owned car parks for the rest of the year.
Throughout the festive season, remember to #StaySafe and #ShopLocal while enjoying our town centre.
Hugh Dennis said: “Having been born there I think of Kettering as the place where my own lights were switched on, so returning the compliment, I am delighted to be involved in switching on the Kettering Christmas lights for 2020, even if it is virtual this year."
Councillor Scott Edwards, Kettering Borough Council’s Portfolio Holder for Community and Culture, said: “The Virtual Christmas Light Switch On is the new and exciting initiative that all can enjoy safely and comfortably from their own homes. I’m sure we can all agree that it’s been a difficult year for many, but these Christmas festivities, including the all new for 2020 Lapland Lodge, will provide some well-needed festive cheer to all in Kettering.”
Notes to Editor:
Visit www.thisiskettering.com/christmas for the full festive schedule.
Kettering born Peter Hugh Dennis is an English comedian, presenter, actor, writer, impressionist, and voice-over artist.
He is best known for being one half of Punt and Dennis with comedy partner Steve Punt, playing Pete Brockman, the father, in the BBC One sitcom Outnumbered and since 2014 he has played Toby in the long-running sitcom Not Going Out.
Since 2005, Dennis has been a regular panellist on the BBC Two satirical comedy show Mock the Week.
Santa’s Lapland Lodge Terms & Conditions – Please read before booking.
- Elves will be waiting to greet you at your pre-booked time slot.
- Everyone will need a ticket to enter the Lapland Lodge.
- The Elves can assist you with choosing your time slot to visit the lodge. Time slots will be booked for each child in the party, for instance 5 minutes per child, a group of 4 children will have 20 minutes in the Lodge. Please arrive ready to enter the lodge at your pre-booked time.
- Latecomers may not be admitted, if you are not able to make your time please phone the box office on 07535 226 522
What are we doing to make this event Covid safe?
- Hand sanitising stations at entrance and exit.
- Regular sanitising of highly touched areas (by our Lapland Elves)
- We’ve planned every area with social distancing in mind.
- Only 6 per group at any time in the Lapland Lodge with a maximum of 2 adults.
- At the end of the Lodge our Elves will invite each group for a photograph in our magical sleigh. You will have the opportunity to purchase a photo gift from the Elves.
What can you do to make this event Covid Safe?
- We respectfully on ask you to book 6 tickets per booking. This is to comply with the government’s rule of 6.
- Please follow and adhere to all of guidance displayed around the Lodge.
- A mask must be worn by everyone over the age of 11 inside the Lodge.
- We ask that if you have any symptoms of Coronavirus, please do not attend the Lapland Lodge, if you notify us before your booking, we’ll do everything we can to reschedule your booking to a later date.
- Your contact details provide for your booking will be kept for 21 days to support Track and Trace after this time they will be destroyed.
All of the above arrangements are subject to change at any time in line with government guidance.
November: 27th, 28th & 29th
December: 4th, 5th, 6th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 18th, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 24th