Coronavirus - Supporting Business
Council - Business Rates and Grants
Grant Schemes due to COVID 19
The government have announced an end date of 28th August 2020 for local authorities administering all grant schemes relating to COVID 19.
Kettering Borough Council will cease to accept queries or correspondence relating to these schemes after this date, however any outstanding queries held by the council after this date will be reviewed and notification of any decisions will be sent out to customers by 30th September 2020, which is in line with the government guidance.
Discretionary Grants Being Assessed (03/07/2020)
We continue to assess the applications and are processing them as quickly as possible. The first wave of grants have been awarded totalling almost £400,000. We will be expecting to make final payments and notify all applications of outcome in the coming days.
Discretionary Grants Fund Closed (25/06/2020)
Our Discretionary Grant Scheme opened for business applications on 1st June and closed on 14th June. Around 100 businesses are set to receive funding, with the payments set to go out from as early as Thursday 25th June.
Discretionary Grants Fund for Business (18/05/2020)
On 13 May 2020, the Government published guidance for Local Authorities to develop a local discretionary business grant scheme.
The scheme is intended to support small and micro businesses who are not eligible for any other of the government business support schemes.
This Council is now working to develop the local discretionary criteria for the scheme which will be primarily and predominantly for those small and micro business that were trading on the 11th March 2020 and that:
- Are defined as small or micro business under the Companies Act 2006
- Are not eligible for any other covid-19 related government business support schemes
- Have relatively high ongoing fixed property-related costs
- Can demonstrate that they have suffered a significant fall in income due to the Covid-19 crisis
- Occupy property, or part of a property with a RV, annual rent or annual mortgage payments below £51k.
The scheme has a limited financial envelope and therefore it is important that it is designed carefully to ensure that it is available to those eligible local businesses that are most in need of help as a result of COVID-19.
Once a scheme for the Borough of Kettering has been developed full details will be published on our website
Small Business Grant Fund and the Retail, Hospitality and Leisure Grant Fund (09/04/2020)
As of 9th April 2020, 1,274 payments to the value of £15.605 million have been released by Kettering Borough Council to businesses that are eligible for a grant under the Small Business Grant Fund and the Retail, Hospitality and Leisure Grant Fund. The process has been applied to all qualifying and eligible business automatically with no application process. All eligible payments have now been made.
The Government Guidance relating to these schemes is available at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-guidance-on-business-support-grant-funding.
In summary, the government scheme that the Council has applied contains the following measures:
- A twelve month business rates holiday for all retail, hospitality, leisure and nursery businesses in England.
- Small Business Grant Funding of £10,000 for all businesses in receipt of small business rate relief or rural rate relief.
- Grant funding under the Retail, Hospitality and Leisure Grant (RHLG), businesses in England that would have been in receipt of the Expanded Retail Discount (which covers retail, hospitality and leisure) on 11 March with a rateable value of less than £51,000 will be eligible for the following cash grants per property.
- a rateable value of up to and including £15,000 will receive a grant of £10,000
- a rateable value of over £15,000 and less than £51,000 will receive a grant of £25,000
Businesses with a rateable value of £51,000 or over are not eligible for this scheme. Businesses which are not ratepayers in the Business Rates system are not included in this scheme. Only one grant is allowed for each premises.
Where the Council holds existing bank details, these payments have been made direct into the bank account (these will be businesses currently paying by direct debit). Where the Council doesn’t hold bank account details, these be paid by cheque. We ask you to please check your post at your business address when payments have been made.
If you have any issues accessing your cheque payment, please ring the Council on 01536 410333.
The payments will be accompanied with an explanatory letter and a declaration (Appendix A to the letter) that must be completed and returned to Kettering Borough Council to complete the government returns. The declaration can be completed online.
Keep up-to-date with the latest news and available support announced by the Government. We've also set up pages with information on other financial support available as well as the latest guidance and advice.