Coronavirus - Our Services
Council Housing, Rent and Repairs
If you are struggling financially due the impact of Covid-19 and are worried about paying your rent, please contact our income team as soon as you can.
Our offices are not currently open to the public, but we are still working to provide advice and support over the phone.
Please call 01536 410333 and ask to speak to a Housing Income Officer.
Council House Repairs
We are working hard to ensure that we can continue providing our most essential services whilst protecting your safety and that of our workforce. We are also mindful of the need to provide wider social help to those most in need in the whole community and therefore some of our staff and vehicles are likely to be diverted onto other tasks, as agreed with the Government.
We have implemented important changes to our repairs service, which are as follows:
- We will now only attend to undertake emergency repairs.
- We will ask tenants additional questions to ascertain whether they or anyone in their household are displaying symptoms of COVID-19 or whether they are in an at-risk group that is self-isolating.
- A decision will be made on a case-by-case basis, taking into account your safety and that of our workforce, as to whether and how we will carry out repairs.
- When we attend a property, we will take all necessary safety precautions in line with Government guidance. This will include the need for you and your household to stay in another room whilst our workforce complete the works. As guidance changes, the wearing of full-face mask and protective clothing may also be necessary.
- We will continue to undertake our annual gas safety check when and where it is possible to do so.
- We are redeploying most of our workforce from our responsive repairs team to our vacant properties team where they can work more safely in isolation.
- We are reviewing our list of jobs that are currently outstanding to see which repairs we can safely action at this time.
- We are also reviewing our capital programme for 2020/21 so that we can deliver as many improvements as possible without compromising the safety of residents or our workforce.
Although our service to you is changing given the current situation, please be assured that we will do our very best to continue undertaking essential maintenance works to your home.
Right To Buy Applications
If you submit a right to buy application or already have one in process, you may experience some delays.
Although we are currently still processing applications, we are unable to carry out new valuations due to our valuers being unable to visit properties. This will be the case whilst social distancing and self-isolation measures remain in force in line with Government advice.
Applications that have been valued and/or have received an offer of sale can proceed as normal, although where further visits are required for example, to carry out EPC surveys or to confirm property boundaries, completion will be temporarily suspended. Thank you for your patience during these challenging times.
Letter to Social Housing Residents from the Government
Letter from the Minister of Housing setting out the measures that are in place to support social housing residents during the next phase towards reopening society.