Privacy Notice - Closed-circuit Television (CCTV)
Why we collect information about you
The Council operates various CCTV and surveillance systems for the purposes of public and staff safety, and also the prevention and/or detection of crime. The systems are used in the following areas:
- Public locations such as the town centre
- In some corporate buildings where there is public access
- On some of our corporate vehicles
- Body worn cameras with audio functions are used by our Environmental and Parking Wardens
How will we use the information we hold about you?
Our CCTV systems capture images 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. Body worn cameras are activated for operational purposes when necessary. The footage is only accessed and used in limited circumstances and used to:
- Promote the safety of officers
- Identify perpetrators of crime
- Provide evidence and secure prosecutions in law enforcement cases
- Prevent or reduce crime, nuisance and anti-social behaviour
- Other purposes within the realms of the law
What is the basis for us to process your data?
- For the interest of public safety, the prevention and detection of crime, apprehension and prosecution of offenders and for legal proceedings
- Public task: the processing is necessary for us to perform a task in the public interest or for our official functions, and the task or function has a clear basis in law
- In some circumstances - Vital interests: the processing is necessary to protect someone’s life
Who we will share your information with
- CCTV operators
- Internal/External enforcement agencies, for example Trading Standards, HMRC .
- Police Forces
- Fire and Rescue Services
- with members of the public under very strict Data Protection or Freedom of Information conditions
- we will also share information with Insurance Companies, but only when we have been authorised by the Data Protection and Compliance Team at Kettering Borough Council.
- we may share details of those convicted with local crime reduction partnerships.
How long do we keep your records?
CCTV images are held for 31 days unless any copy footage is requested. If a request for footage is received, it will be retained for a maximum of a further 31 days before it is deleted.
For further information:
For details regarding your rights under Data Protection law or how to make a complaint if you think we have mishandled your personal information, please visit: