Privacy Notice - Staff Personal Data
Why we collect information about you
Kettering Borough Council (the Council) needs to hold and process personal data relating to its staff in order to keep proper records, provide support and guidance to staff, and monitor pensions and payroll, performance and contractual obligations.
We may collect and process all or some of the following categories of information in order to carry out our obligations:
- Name, date of birth, address and contact information
- Marital Status
- National Insurance Number, Payroll Number, Tax, benefit or pension records
- Trade Union Membership
- Bank Details
- DBS Checks / References
- Family contact information
- Health Data
- Racial or ethnic origin
- Religious or other beliefs of a similar nature
How will we use the information we hold about you?
The information you provide and other information gathered or created during your service with Kettering Borough Council (eg. Performance Reviews, Assessments, Disciplinary Data) will be used to:
- Manage your employment with the authority, maintain accurate and up to date employment records and contact details (including details of who to contact in the event of an emergency) and records of employee contractual and statutory rights
- Operate and monitor absences processes, ensure staff receive the appropriate pay and benefits
- Provide support services to include occupation health advice, to comply with duties in relation to staff with disabilities, meet its obligations under health and safety law, and to ensure staff receive the appropriate pay and benefits
- Operate and monitor other types of leave (to include maternity, paternity, adoption, parental and shared parental leave), meet its obligations under leave entitlement, and to ensure staff receive the appropriate leave-related pay and benefits
- Administer payment of salaries and benefits
- Operate and keep records of employee performance and related processes, plan career development, provide relevant training and development, succession planning and workforce management processes
- Run recruitment and promotion processes
- Operate and keep a record of disciplinary and grievance processes
- Conduct employee engagement surveys
- Provide references on request for current or former employees
- Respond to and defend against legal claims
- Preventing or detecting crime or fraud
- Maintain and promote equality in the workplace
What is the basis for us to process your data?
Our legal basis for using your personal data is under contract and legal obligation.
If we cannot use your data we could not fulfil our contractual obligations and you could not commence/continue employment with Kettering Borough Council.
Our legal basis' for using your special types of personal data is under Employment law, Social Protection law, Establishment or defence of legal claims.
The Council has a legitimate interest in processing some of your personal data before, during and after the end of an employment relationship to allow it to carry out various employee related functions. Where the organisation relies on legitimate interests as a reason for processing data, it has considered whether or not those interests are overridden by the rights and freedoms of employees and has concluded they are not.
Who we will share your information with
Only relevant employees of Kettering Borough Council have access to your personal data, such as staff in our Human Resources Team, Payroll, and those employees in line management and IT.
Who else might we share your data with?
- Health Agencies
- Commissioned Partners
- Regulatory Bodies
- Education Providers
- Government Bodies
- Trade Unions
- Pension agencies
Your personal data will not be used for marketing purposes or sold/shared with any third parties for marketing purposes.
We will not use your personal data to carry out or make automated decisions.
How long do we keep your records?
We will only keep your information for the minimum period necessary and in line with our Retention Schedule. Your data will be securely destroyed 6 years after we stop using it.
For further information:
For details regarding your rights under Data Protection law or how to make a complaint if you think we have mishandled your personal information, please visit :www.kettering.gov.uk/privacy