Privacy Notice - Commercial Property
Why we collect information about you
Kettering Borough Council (KBC) is a Landlord of various properties within the borough and needs to collect certain information about you and your company in order to carry out its service and other activities associated with managing your tenancy.
Other activities include:
- Managing your property, tenancy/lease and rent account as your landlord
- Property and grounds maintenance and repair
- Property Alterations and change of Uses
- Selling properties or Land
- Setting up of Wayleave agreements and other access rights
- Licences to Occupy
- Property and Land purchases
The categories of personal information we collect include the following:
Name, address, date of birth, National Insurance number, contact details, details of anyone authorised to act on your behalf if applicable, banking details (if you pay your rent by direct debit)
Other personal information we may collect as required:
- Credit score ratings
- References from your chosen referees
- Documentation that provides Proof of Identity and Proof of Address
- Other personal information which will vary on a case by case basis to help us resolve breach of tenancy, alleged anti-social behaviour or fraud
How will we use the information we hold about you?
We will only ask for the minimum amount of information required to deal with your circumstances. We will use the information you provide along with information we obtain from third parties or partner agencies to:
- Respond to any service requests, feedback or complaints
- Keep you informed e.g. Planned maintenance works
- Allow access to our services and carry out transactions
- Provide you with information regarding our services
- Signpost you to the relevant organisation if we are unable to assist you directly
We will never sell or pass on your personal information for marketing purposes.
What is the basis for us to process your data?
As a local authority the Council has a legal duty to carry out many of its functions or is obliged to carry out tasks which are in the interest of the general public. Some services require you to enter into a contract with us such as a tenancy agreement. In some instances there may be a legitimate reason to process your information without your consent. In any of these situations it is necessary for us to collect and process your personal information.
If you are a tenant of the Council we will process your information under the terms of the contract or lease.
Who we will share your information with
Your information will only be used for the purpose/s it was originally provided for and shared with the relevant members of staff. It will only be shared with other teams within the Council or partner agencies where necessary and the law allows or requires it, or to improve the service you receive.
We may pass on your personal information to law enforcement bodies such as the Police, government authorities and other organisations for the prevention and detection of crime or fraud.
Other organisations we may share your data with are (if the law allows or requires it, or if we have your consent):
- Partner and Multi Agency organisations
- External Contractors (for certain repairs and maintenance)
- Next of kin or family members
- External valuers
How long do we keep your records?
We will only keep your information for the minimum period necessary and in line with our Corporate Retention Schedule.
All information will be held securely and will be securely destroyed when no longer needed.
For further information:
For details regarding your rights under Data Protection law or how to make a complaint if you think we have mishandled your personal information, please visit: www.kettering.gov.uk/privacy