Privacy Notice - Parking
Why we collect information about you
Kettering Borough Council operates various car parks within Kettering Town Centre for which charges are made. We also administer a number of Residents’ Parking Schemes. To carry out these function it is necessary for us to collect and hold your personal information.
How will we use the information we hold about you?
The categories of information we collect to administer parking services are:
- Basic vehicle details such as registration number, make and model, location of vehicle
- Vehicle ownership details (via the DVLA)
- Basic information about you eg. Name, address, telephone number, email address
- Images of you if the Warden has activated their body worn camera
- Details of your credit or debit card if you have used this to pay for a service
The information collected will be used in the following ways:
- Carry out parking appeals
- Carry out parking enforcement
- Process car park season ticket applications
- Process Residents Parking Permits or Business Parking Permits
- Card payments for parking
What is the basis for us to process your data?
- The performance of a contract to which you are a party (season tickets, residents parking permit)
- To carry out tasks which are in the general public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the Council (under the Road Traffic Act 1984)
Who we will share your information with
Only relevant employees of Kettering Borough Council have access to information held in relation to parking matters. This will be restricted to staff in our Public Services Team.
The Council uses the facilities of an e-Commerce company, WorldPay, to process your credit/debit card transaction securely. All communication between you and WorldPay is encrypted and can only be interpreted by WorldPay. The Council does not have access to, or store your cards details. For details on how your information is handled via our website, please visit www.kettering.gov.uk/privacy
In order to identify the keeper of a vehicle at a given time, for the purposes of the enforcement of a Fixed Penalty Notice we may contact the DVLA and provide them with the details known to us.
If enforcement action is pursued your information may be shared with our Legal Services and the Magistrates’ Courts.
How long do we keep your records?
We will only keep your information for the minimum period necessary and in line with our Corporate Retention Schedule. Information will be securely destroyed when no longer needed.
Fixed Penalty Notices and enforcement records are held in year and for 6 years after the case is closed (maximum of 7 years)
Footage captured by body worn cameras is only retained if necessary for the pursuit of an offence, otherwise it is destroyed immediately.
For further information:
For details regarding your rights under Data Protection law or how to make a complaint if you think we have mishandled your personal information, please visit: www.kettering.gov.uk/privacy