Privacy Notice - Environmental Protection and Health Protection

Why we collect information about you

We collect and hold information about you in order to deal with an accident you may have had, carrying out inspections and investigations under our statutory powers and for providing advice and guidance.

How will we use the information we hold about you?

We will collect information about you including:

  • Your name and address
  • Your complaint and how it affects you
  • Any vulnerabilities you may have
  • Other occupants in your household
  • Any relevant notes you have told us about

The information you provide will be used to log, investigate, monitor and update you about a complaint you have made, or an accident or infectious disease you may have had.  We may request further information or evidence from you.

What is the basis for us to process your data?

The council carries out many of its Environmental Health functions under legislation and as a task which is in the public interest.  Please see appendix 1 for the various laws under which it is necessary to process your personal data.  Where we collect special categories of data from you, such as your health data it will be processed as necessary for reasons of substantial public interest.

Who we will share your information with

We do not share your information with the subject of your complaint without your consent and only when it is crucial to the case.  If you agree to provide a statement or attend court, it is likely that your information and/or identity will be made available to the subject of the complaint, unless your anonymity can be agreed as part of the legal process, though this is only in exceptional circumstances.

We will only share information with other organisations where it is necessary, either to comply with a legal obligation, or where permitted under Data Protection legislation.  For example we may share information with: The Police Authority; Health and Safety Executive; neighbouring Local Authorities; Fire and Rescue Service; the Coroner’s Office; Environment Agency; HMRC, Immigration Service; Public Health England; Home Office; Central Licensing Unit; Social Housing Providers; Central Traveller Unit; DEFRA; Northamptonshire County Council Highways; Drinking Water Inspectorate; Food Standards Agency; DVLA; DVSA and Trading Standards.

If we believe information we hold affects the safeguarding of any individual, it will be necessary for us to share details with our safeguarding partners and/or the Police to keep you or others safe.

Other ways we may use your details

The Council may also use your information for the purpose of performing any of its statutory enforcement duties.  We will make disclosures required by law and may also share your information with other bodies responsible for detecting/preventing crime including fraud or auditing/administering public funds.

How long do we keep your records?

We will only keep your information for the minimum period necessary. The information outlined in this privacy statement will be kept after all action on your complaint has finished and the period required by the Council for legal or audit purposes has passed and in any event in line with our Information Retention Schedule.  All information will be held securely and will be securely destroyed when it is no longer required.

For further information:

For details regarding your rights under Data Protection law or how to make a complaint if you think we have mishandled your personal information, please visit:


  • Animals Act 1971
  • Animal Boarding Establishment Act 1963
  • Animal Welfare Act 2006
  • Anti Social Behaviour, Crime & Policing Act 2014
  • Betting, Gaming and Lotteries Acts 1963 & 1964
  • Breeding of Dogs Act 1973 & 1991
  • Building Act 1984
  • Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960
  • Caravan Sites Act 1968
  • Cinemas Act 1985
  • Civic Amenities Act 1967
  • Clean Air Act 1993
  • Clean Neighbourhoods & Environments Act 2005
  • Control of Horses Act 2015
  • Control of Pollution Act 1974
  • Control of Smoke Pollution Act 1989
  • Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976
  • Deer Act 1980
  • Dogs (Fouling of Land) Act 1996
  • Environment Act 1995
  • Environmental Protection Act 1990
  • Factories Act 1961
  • Fire Safety and Safety of Places of Sport Act 1987
  • Food and Environment Protection Act 1985
  • Food Safety Act 1990
  • Gambling Act 2005
  • Game Act 1831
  • Gaming Act 1968
  • Guard Dogs Act 1975
  • Health Act 2006
  • Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974
  • Home Safety Act 1961
  • Housing Act 1985
  • Kettering Improvement Act 1904
  • Local Government and Housing Act 1989
  • Landlord and Tenant Act 1985
  • Licensing Act 2003
  • Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act (1976 & 1982)
  • Mines and Quarries Act 1954
  • Mobile Homes Act 1975, 1983 & 2013
  • National Assistance Act 1948
  • National Assistance (Amendment) Act 1951
  • Noise Act 1996
  • Noise and Statutory Nuisance Act 1993
  • Offices, Shops and Railway Premises Act 1963
  • Performing Animals (Regulations) Act 1925
  • Pests Act 1954
  • Pet Animals Act 1951
  • Pollution Prevention & Control Act 1999
  • Prevention of Damage by Pests Act 1949
  • Private Water Supplies Regulations 1991
  • Public Health Acts 1936 & 1961
  • Public Health (Control of Disease) Act 1984
  • Radioactive Substances Act 1993
  • Rag Flock and Other Filling Materials Act 1951
  • Refuse Disposal (Amenity) Act 1978
  • Rent Acts 1957-1974
  • Riding Establishments Act 1964 & 1970
  • Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984
  • Rural Water Supplies and Sewerage Acts 1955 to 1971
  • Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013
  • Sunday Trading Act 1994
  • Shops (Early Closing) Act 1965
  • Slaughterhouses Act 1974
  • Slaughter of Animals Act 1974
  • Slaughter of Poultry Act 1967
  • Sunday Cinemas Act 1972
  • Sunday Entertainment Act 1932
  • Theatres Act 1968
  • Water Acts 1973 & 1989
  • Water Industry Act 1991