Homeless referrals from partners
The Homelessness Reduction Act 2017 requires our partner agencies to make referrals to us to try and help prevent and relieve homelessness effectively.
The following public authorities now have a duty to refer their service users when they believe they may be homeless or at risk of homelessness.
- Prisons and young offender institutions
- Youth offending teams and probation services (including community rehabilitation companies)
- Secure training centres and colleges
- Jobcentre Plus
- Social service authorities
- Emergency departments, urgent treatment centres, hospital inpatient care
- Secretary of state for Defence
How to make a homeless referral
A partner agency will need to:
- Firstly have consent from the person(s) being referred
- Allow the individual to identify the housing authority in England they would like to be referred to
- Have consent from the service user that their contact details can be passed on and the authority can contact them
We encourage all our partners to register with and use the referral portal we are using called Alert
The following links provide guidance on how to use the portal to refer homeless households and more information on what the Duty to Refer is.
If you have any questions about any of this then please contact our Housing Options Team on 01536 410 333 or email us at Dutytorefer@kettering.gov.uk