Go to the new North Northamptonshire Council website

Get Help With Your Rent

Your Rent and Universal Credit

Proof of Rent

When you start to receive Universal Credit, any housing costs you are entitled to will be included within your UC payment.  You will not be claiming Housing Benefit from the Council.  To ensure that you are receiving the correct amount for your housing costs you will need to provide the DWP with your weekly rent amount.

To do this you will need to provide them with a proof of rent form - please contact the council on 01536 410333 to request this form.

Once you start to receive UC you will be responsible for payment of your full weekly rent so it is essential that you contact the council as soon as you make a claim for Universal Credit and discuss this with your Housing Income Officer.  It is also very important that you are aware of the different ways you can pay your rent.

What is an Alternative Payment Arrangement?

If you have struggled with receiving monthly payments of Universal Credit or have had trouble budgeting you may be able to have an Alternative Payment Arrangement.  Landlords can apply for an Alternative Payment Arrangement if their tenant is in rent arrears.  This means the Housing Element can be paid directly to the landlord (this is sometimes known as a direct payment).

How do I get an Alternative Payment Arrangement?

The first thing Job Centre Plus will consider is whether to pay your housing costs direct to your landlord, however, you can get an Alternative Payment Arrangement at any time. 

This will protect you from losing your home if you are in rent arrears.  They may also consider paying Third Party Deductions, these are payments from your standard allowance to pay towards your arrears so both your rent and any arrears payments are covered. 

Moving from Housing Benefit to Universal Credit

If you are transferring from Housing Benefit to Universal Credit, your Housing Benefit payment will continue for an extra two weeks after the start of the UC claim to help with your housing costs while you wait for your first payment of Universal Credit.

The payment will be made automatically when you apply for Universal Credit and you don't need to pay it back. It also won't affect how much Universal Credit you get.

Get in touch

If you have any concerns about Universal Credit and your housing costs, get in touch with the Housing Income Team.