Universal Credit and your rent

Universal Credit (UC) is a single monthly payment for people of working age that replaces the following in and out of work benefits:

• Jobseekers’ Allowance
• Income Support
• Employment & Support Allowance
• Housing Benefit
• Child Tax Credits
• Working Tax Credits

DOWNLOAD Our handy guide to Universal Credit

When you start to receive Universal Credit, any Housing Benefit you may have been receiving will stop and the housing costs you are entitled to will be included within your UC payment.  To ensure that you are receiving the correct amount for your housing costs you will need to provide the DWP with your weekly rent amount. 

To do this you will need to provide them with a proof of rent form.  This form also provides the DWP with other information about your tenancy that they require to process your claim for Universal Credit.  Please contact the Council on 01536 410333 to request this form.

Once you start to receive UC you will be responsible for payment of your full weekly rent so it is essential that you contact the Council as soon as you make a claim for Universal Credit and discuss this with your Housing Income Officer.  It is also very important that you are aware of the different ways you can pay your rent and which payment method is best for you.