What can I do if I have rent arrears?

Getting into rent arrears is a serious matter and should they continue to increase the Council can take legal action to seek possession of your home.

The first thing you must therefore do is contact the Housing Income Team on 01536 410333. If you prefer you can contact your Housing Income Officer directly - their name and contact details will be on any letters and paperwork you may receive regarding your rent account. 

The next thing you need to do is start to think about how you are going to clear the arrears. Don’t worry, we won’t ask you to clear the balance in full if this is something you are unable to do. 
However, what we will need you to do is set up an affordable payment plan so that you are able to clear the balance at a pace that suits you. 

As part of this process, we may have to discuss your income and expenditure so that we can fully understand your financial situation and ensure that what has been proposed is affordable.

If you feel that you might need some support to manage your tenancy or get your finances sorted, we can refer you through to the Councils Tenancy Support Team who will work with you to do this.

Remember: We can’t help you if we don’t know what is going on so it is really important that you contact us as soon as you can.

You can also get independent advice & support from the following agencies:

Accommodation Concern -Telephone: 01536 416560

Citizens Advice Bureau - Municipal Offices Bowling Green Lane, Kettering, NN15 7QX
Telephone: 0844 855 2122

Money Advice Service - Telephone: 0300 500 5000

Community Law Service -Telephone: 01604 621038

Support in other ways


HMRC  8.00 am to 8.00 pm, Monday to Friday, 8.00 am to 4.00 pm Saturday,Closed Sunday, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day

Tel 0345 300 3900

Working Links 49 Sheep St, Northampton NN1 2NE Tel 01604 625160

Freephone 0800 9179262