Go to the new North Northamptonshire Council website

Self and Custom Build

View the Self and Custom Build Register

To be accepted on the register, the following criteria must be met:

  • You are aged 18 or over
  • You are a British Citizen, a national of EEA State other than the United Kingdom, or a national of Switzerland; and
  • You are seeking (either alone or with others) to acquire a serviced plot of land in the relevant authority's area to build a house to occupy as that individual's sole or main residence

To express your interest to acquire a serviced plot of land in the Council’s area for your own Self-build and Custom housebuilding project, please apply here

Apply online

Please note that an application for entry on the Register does not guarantee inclusion on the Register and we may ask you to provide evidence that you meet all of the eligibility criteria.

Registration also does not guarantee that a suitable plot will be identified, or become available to meet your needs. At this stage, you are not making any commitment - but by signing up you will help us find out more about the demand for Self-build and Custom build housing in Kettering Borough, where people would like their plot to be located and the type of housing that they would like to build.

Data will be held in accordance with the data protection legislation. No personal details will be shared with any external contacts without consent, but we may let you know from time to time about Self-build and Custom housebuilding in Kettering Borough, and when we have given planning permission for sites with serviced building plots so you can make enquiries with the project promoters when these might become available for you purchase a plot to build your own home.

We will also be setting out headline information on this website about the total number of individuals and associations of individuals (groups) registered, geographical areas of interest, type of housing sought etc. Subject to further engagement with landowners this may contain a list of sites where plots are available for purchase.

We will keep this Register under review and update it from time to time. We may also ask for confirmation of your continued interest in building in Kettering Borough, at certain intervals to ensure that the Register remains accurate.

If your address/contact details or your circumstances change, or you have acquired land suitable to Self-build or Custom build your own home, or you no longer wish to remain on the Register please, please contact the Council on 01536 534316 or planningpolicy.kbc@northnorthants.gov.uk  

Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Register
The Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015 (as amended by the Housing and Planning Act 2016) places a duty on local councils in England to keep, publicise and have regard to a Register of individuals and associations of individuals (groups) who are interested in acquiring serviced plots of land in the authority’s area for their own Self-build or Custom housebuilding project. The legislation also requires councils to give suitable development permission to enough suitable serviced plots of land to meet the demand for Self-build and Custom housebuilding in their area.

The Council has therefore prepared a Register. This will help inform the Council of the level of demand for serviced building plots in Kettering Borough and help us carry out our duties under the legislation, including decisions on planning applications and bringing forward new housing and planning policies to support the kind of projects that people on the Register want to build.

What is Self-build and Custom Housebuilding?
The terms "Self-build" and "Custom build" are used to describe instances where individuals or groups of individuals are involved in building their own homes.  Section 9 of the Housing and Planning Act 2016 provides a legal definition of this form of housebuilding, but does not distinguish between Self-build and Custom build.  In practice, there are many different ways people can build your own home. In considering whether a home is a Self-build or Custom build home, Councils must be satisfied that the initial owner of the home will have primary input into its final design and layout.

Self-build – means projects where individuals or associations of individuals (groups) directly organise the design and construction of their new homes

Custom Build – means projects where individuals or associations of individuals (groups) work with a specialist developer to help deliver their new home

Please note that proposals for Self-build and Custom Housebuilding are subject to the same requirement for planning permission as other forms of housing.

Further information

More information about Self-build and Custom build housing can be found at:

Available funding:
The Government has made available a range of funding options for community-led projects and landowners/builders who want to bring forward Self Build and Custom Build projects on larger sites.

For landowners and developers
The Homes and Communities Agency (HCA) has set aside a £3 billion Home Building Fund to help increase the number of homes built in England and support smaller scale development, including loans for innovative housing solutions and serviced plots for custom and self build projects with a minimum of 5 homes. This is being extended by a further £1.5 billion as announced in the Budget 2017. This link takes you to more information.

For community groups
The Government has made available a range of funding options for community led projects. This link takes you to more information.

Relevant legislation and Government guidance