Go to the new North Northamptonshire Council website

New website

Most information about our services can be found on our new website. Visit North Northamptonshire Council

Conservation Areas

There are 26 designated Conservation Areas in Kettering Borough.  Using the mapping service above, select 'What would you like to do?' and then 'Choose Map Layers'.  Choose the 'Conservation Area' and a green layer will appear over impacted areas on the map.

Many parts of our towns and villages have a “special" quality or character which is created by the arrangement of buildings, trees and other elements of the street scene, rather than by the architectural merit of individual buildings. Conservation Areas are designed to offer a degree of protection to such areas and to prevent the unjustified loss of buildings, trees and features which contribute to the collective quality of the area.

Planning Permission

Within Conservation Areas planning permission is required for certain types of work that would not normally be needed.  The sensitive application of all planning powers within these areas is important and special consideration is given to maintaining the qualities which give the area its particular character.

Listed below are examples of the types of development within a Conservation Area that require applications for planning permission.  Please note this list is not exhaustive.

  • Demolition of all, and in some cases part, of any building, gate, fence, wall or other means of enclosure
  • Cladding any part of the outside of a building with materials such as stone, artificial stone, pebble dash, render, timber, plastic or tiles
  • An extension with more than a single storey that extends beyond the rear wall of the original building
  • An extension that extends beyond the side wall of the original building
  • The erection of an outbuilding between the side wall and boundary of an existing building
  • Any enlargement or extension to a roof, such as the addition of a dormer window
  • Positioning a satellite dish on a wall, roof or chimney that faces a public highway
  • Installing solar panels on the wall of a domestic property that faces a public highway, and on the wall or roof slope of a non-domestic property that faces a public highway
  • The installation of a flue, chimney or soil and vent pipe if it would face onto a public highway and is on the front or side of the building
  • Advertisements and shop fronts
  • Trees within conservation areas with stem diameters of 75mm or greater, measured at 1.5m above ground are protected. Anyone wishing to work on these trees must normally give six weeks written notice to the local planning authority. More information on trees in conservation areas

Before commencing any work within a Conservation Area, property owners, occupiers and other interested parties should contact us to determine whether planning permission is required for a proposal.

Apply for planning permission

Historic England

Historic England’s website provides further information on: