What are Building Regulations?
Competent person scheme
Competent Person Schemes (CPS) were introduced by the government to allow individuals and companies to self-certify that their work complies with Building Regulations as an alternative to submitting an application to your local authority.
The installer should give you a certificate within 8 weeks of completion and also advise your local authority about work on your behalf - it will also be revealed in solicitors’ searches if you decide to sell your home.
Works which may be covered under the competent person scheme include:
- Installation of cavity wall insulation
- Installation of gas appliances
- Electrical works in the home
- Replacement windows and doors in dwellings
- Re–roofing work
- Solar energy
- Vented and unvented hot water storage system
- Replacement of flue or flue lining, fireplace or chimney
- Drainage or installation of new septic tank
- Oil tanks
To find out more and to check if an installer is registered, please visit the Competent Person website.
If you don't use an installer registered with a Competent Person Scheme then you should contact us on 01546 534250 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for further advice.