Go to the new North Northamptonshire Council website

What are Building Regulations?

Competent person scheme

Competent Person Schemes (CPS) were introduced by the government to allow individuals and companies to self-certify that their work complies with Building Regulations as an alternative to submitting an application to your local authority.

The installer should give you a certificate within 8 weeks of completion and also advise your local authority about work on your behalf - it will also be revealed in solicitors’ searches if you decide to sell your home.

Works which may be covered under the competent person scheme include:

  • Installation of cavity wall insulation
  • Installation of gas appliances
  • Electrical works in the home
  • Replacement windows and doors in dwellings
  • Re–roofing work
  • Solar energy
  • Vented and unvented hot water storage system
  • Replacement of flue or flue lining, fireplace or chimney
  • Drainage or installation of new septic tank
  • Oil tanks

To find out more and to check if an installer is registered, please visit the Competent Person website.

If you don't use an installer registered with a Competent Person Scheme then you should contact us on 01546 534250 or email buildingcontrol@kettering.gov.uk for further advice.