What are Building Regulations?

Building work you've started or finished without approval

If you’ve started work which needs building regulations without getting approval, you must apply for “regularisation”.  We’ll check whether it meets building regulations standards and can give approval.

You might have to correct the work if building regulations are not met.  If we’re satisfied that the work meets building regulations, we’ll issue a “regularisation certificate”.   You can only get retrospective approval for any work completed after11th November 1985.

If you don’t tell us about work that has started, or has been completed, without building regulation approval, you won’t have the certificates you need when you come to sell.

What you need to submit

You may also need planning permission - do not start work until you’ve got this.