Go to the new North Northamptonshire Council website

What are Building Regulations?

What works need building regulations approval?

Meeting the requirements of the building regulations is the responsibility of the person carrying out the building work and, if they are not the same person, the owner of the building.

If you're building something new, or making changes to an existing building, you may need building regulations approval.

Building regulations set minimum standards for the design and construction of buildings to ensure the safety and health of people in or about those buildings. They also include requirements to ensure that fuel and power is conserved and facilities are provided for people, including those with disabilities, to access and move around inside buildings.

If building regulations are met we will give you the certificates of compliance needed when you come to sell.

Find out how to apply for:
building work you have not started
building work you have started, or finished, without getting approval

Examples of work that will require building regulations approval:

  • Erect a building (a new dwelling or certain detached buildings)
  • Extend an existing building
  • Make structural alterations to a building (eg removing a load-bearing wall or widening an opening)
  • Loft conversions
  • Replacement windows
  • Replace a heat producing appliance (eg boiler or wood burning stove)
  • Alterations to a chimney or flue
  • Installing a new bathroom, kitchen, or utility room (unless it is a re-fit of an existing bathroom, kitchen or utility room)
  • New drainage or plumbing
  • Erect a conservatory where the floor area is greater than 30 square meters or the conservatory is open to the house
  • Any work affecting means of escape or fire safety in a house or flat
  • Adding to or altering certain electrics in a house, flat or building linked to a house or flat
  • Renovation of thermal elements (eg external walls, roofs, ground bearing floors)
  • Building, extending or structurally altering an office or commercial building
  • Change the use of a building, for example, converting a building into a dwelling or flats

Also, some works are exempt from building regulations.

If your project is not listed here, please contact Building Control for advice.

Contact Building Control

Further information: