Go to the new North Northamptonshire Council website

Approval and permission for building work and home improvements


Depending on the work you're doing you might need to get
planning permission or building regulations approval, or both

If you go ahead without permission or approval you might end up having to put things back to how they were.

Planning permission

You'll probably need planning permission if you want to:

  • build something new
  • make a major change, like building an extension
  • change the use of your building

Check our "Do I need planning permission" pages.

Building regulations approval

You need building regulations approval to check the work you're doing reaches certain safety and energy efficiency standards.

You probably need building regulations approval for:

  • a new building
  • an extension
  • a loft conversion
  • alterations to the structure of the building
  • home improvements like a new boiler, radiators, bathroom, fuse box, electrics, windows, doors and roofing

Check if your work needs building regulation approval on the Local Authority Building Control website.

Once you know you need approval: