DEFRA Grant Funding
Northamptonshire County Council have received funding through the “Local Authority Emergency Assistance Grant for Food and Essential Supplies” from DEFRA, to grant funding to support local food banks and charities. Small charities and food banks in Northamptonshire can now apply for funds via the nearly formed DEFRA Strategic Oversight Boards – North and West.
Northamptonshire County Council has awarded two grants to the Daylight Centre in Wellingborough, and the Northampton Hope Centre, to support local charities in the North and West of Northamptonshire and build resilience into these areas.
This grant is for eligible projects that help and support people struggling to afford food and other essentials due to COVID-19 in Northamptonshire and fall into one or more of the following categories of support:
- food banks
- food clubs
- cooking clubs
- advice groups, where this relates to food
- soup kitchens
- household essentials, e.g. washing up liquid and washing powder, pet food, special dietary requirements, hygiene products and toiletries
- food shopping and delivery.
Applications are welcomed to help cover the cost of providing food, essential supplies and advice as a result of responding to COVID-19. This includes the additional running costs of providing this help and support (e.g. the extra costs of recruiting, training and supporting volunteers, increased costs such as telephone calls, rent, gas and electricity or other costs relating to a new site where people can more easily access community support and services).
Northamptonshire County Council particularly welcomes applications from groups showing collaborative working, those working together to support specific local communities, minority groups and those most in need or at risk.
It is very simple and quick to apply. Charities and groups will need to explain what they intend to spend the money on and how that will benefit vulnerable people in their area.
These may include:
- projects that directly help vulnerable people affected by the effects of COVID-19, such as by providing access to food and other essentials e.g. toiletries
- existing schemes and other support which support people struggling to afford food and other essentials, and where the need is greatest
- projects advising and providing information to people to help them access longer term support they might need, such as benefits
- projects that provide targeted support in areas of greatest need and deprivation, including rural areas.
Applications from groups and organisations are now being accepted by the DEFRA Strategic Oversight Board, via the Daylight Centre, for the North (Kettering, Wellingborough, East Northants and Corby):-
- Applications of up to £5,000
- Applications larger grants up to £25,000. The key focus for these larger grants is on partnership working and collaboration, and laying the foundations for the future.
Applications to be sent to Rachel Mallows firstname.lastname@example.org at Daylight Centre.