Privately Rented Accommodation

Information for private tenants

Your landlord's duties

Repairs and standards

If you rent your accommodation from a private landlord your landlord has a duty to keep it free from category 1 and category 2 hazards using the Housing Health and Safety Rating System.

Responsibility for other repairs depend on what agreement (if any) you have arranged with your landlord. The landlord is not responsible for repairing damage a tenant has caused. The rent the landlord charges can include a sum to cover the cost of repairs - but the landlord cannot pass this cost on to the tenant in the form of a separate service charge.

Safety of gas and electrical appliances

Landlords are required by the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 to ensure that all gas appliances are maintained in good order and that an annual safety check is carried out by a tradesman who is registered with Gas Safe Register.

The landlord must keep a record of the safety checks and issue it to the tenant within 28 days of each annual check. The landlord is not responsible for maintaining any gas appliances the tenant is entitled to take with them at the end of the letting.

Landlords should also ensure that the electrical system and any electrical appliances that they supply (such as cookers, kettles, toasters, washing machines and immersion heaters) are safe to use.

Fire safety of furniture and furnishings

Landlords must ensure that any furniture and furnishings they supply meet the fire resistance requirements in the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988.

The regulations set levels of fire resistance for domestic upholstered furniture. All new and second hand furniture provided in accommodation that is let for the first time, or replacement furniture in existing let accommodation, must meet the fire resistance requirements unless it was made before 1950.

Most furniture will have a manufacturer's label on it saying if it meets the requirements.

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

Prior to taking a new tenancy, you should ask to see a copy of the Energy Performance Certificate (EPC).  EPCs give information on how to make your home more energy efficient and reduce carbon dioxide emissions. All homes bought, sold or rented require an EPC.


The Council can help and advise tenants who rent from a private landlord or housing association who are concerned about the health and safety of their home. In the first instance you should contact your landlord or letting agent so that they know what your problems are and have the opportunity to deal with your concerns. Where improvements are necessary and the landlord is unwilling to co-operate, the Council can use its enforcement powers where appropriate. Repairs that are a concern are leaking roofs, dangerous wiring, dampness, inadequate kitchen and bathroom facilities, inadequate heating and other works identified using the Housing Health and Saftey Ratings System Assessment.

More infomation can be found on the Decent and Safe Homes website.

If you live in a bedsit/studio flat or other shared accommodation there are additional aspects of tenant safety with which your landlord must comply. These include fire precaution measures and the number of bathroom and kitchen facilities available. View the webpages on Houses in Multiple Occupation.

Further information on private letting agents in Kettering

For further advice on damp and mould download our leaflet