Go to the new North Northamptonshire Council website

Disabled adaptations

Carrying Out Your Own Disabled Adaptations

If you would like to carry out your own adaptations you will be liable for all the costs incurred and will be required to ask our permission to carry out this work.

Approval must first be obtained in writing from your Neighbourhood Manager stating what works and adaptations you wish to undertake. A surveyor may be required to inspect the property before the adaptation is started to consider whether it is feasible. It will also be necessary to carry out a post inspection to ensure that the work has been carried out to a satisfactory standard.

We will always consider any reasonable requests for this work to be carried out, taking in to consideration planning legislation and other applicable regulations.

Adaptations must be maintained by you and at the end of the tenancy you may be requested to remove any adaptations and make good any damage to the property.

Speak to your Neighbourhood Manager for more advice on adapting your home. You should always do this before you start any work, even if you feel the adaptations are necessary.