Home Exchange

How does House Exchange work?

1. How can I register for a House Exchange?

If you would like to find someone to swap properties with you, please register your details on House Exchange. Please note that you will need to be a secure or assured tenant before your mutual exchange can take place.

House Exchange is a service for existing local authority and housing association tenants, and is FREE for tenants of Kettering Borough Council (tenants of other local authorities or housing associations may be charged and should check with their landlord). It is a database of information given by tenants that want to move. Applicants can search the database to find properties that match their requirements. 

You can opt out of House Exchange if you change your mind about moving. 

2. How do I register?

Register quickly and easily on House Exchange. We will then send you your sign-in details through the post.

If you do not have access to the internet, you can use the self-service area in reception at Kettering Borough Council or use the computers in your local library.

3. What happens next?

Once you have received your login details you can search for exchanges on the website. There are four ways to search

  1. for the type of property you need in the area you would like

  2. for anyone who is interested in your property

  3. for a match both ways

  4. a three-way search

4. What do I do when I find someone to swap with?

When you have found someone to swap with, please complete a mutual exchange application form Once you have informed your landlord in writing they will confirm if the exchange can take place or not. Your property will be inspected and you must repair any damage that is your responsibility before the exchange takes place.

You cannot move without your landlord's consent.

You will not normally be allowed to transfer if you owe rent.

5. Important things to consider

Before you agree to move, you should check the condition of the new property as you will accept it in its current condition. Also check the type of tenancy agreement you will be taking on as your rights may be different.

Sign into House Exchange