Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing
*** Coronavirus / Covid-19 Update***
In view of the current situation with regard to Coronavirus COVID 19 and HM Government guidance with regards to social distancing, Kettering Borough Council has had to review its licensing processes.
Because of the face to face nature of various elements of applications for new hackney carriage and private hire vehicle drivers licences as well as the pressure on medical services that these applications require, we have taken the decision to suspend the processing of these applications until further notice.
It is our intention to continue to deal with existing drivers for as long as possible but there may be some delays so please get renewal documentation in to us in a timely fashion so that we can do everything we can to get new licences out before expiry dates.
Please be aware that all Council services are now under pressure to meet the public health requirements from this outbreak but we will try to continue to provide timely licensing services during this time.
The Borough Council's role is to ensure that hackney carriages and private hire vehicles licensed by the council are sound and safe and that licence holders are fit and proper persons. Licences are issued for vehicles, drivers and private hire operators.
It is the Public Services departments' responsibility to carry out enforcement on unlicensed activities, and ensure compliance with licence conditions, along with ensuring all complaints received are dealt with quickly and are fully and fairly investigated. All road traffic offences and dangerous driving should be reported to the Police.
Hackney Carriage licensed vehicles are available at the ranks or may be flagged down. They are also accessible to wheelchair users.
Private Hire licensed vehicles must be booked by telephoning the Operator in advance. Drivers of these vehicles cannot accept flag downs or pick up without being pre-booked.
The application process for obtaining a licence to drive a hackney carriage and / or private hire vehicle includes the following:
Applicants need to:
- Take a knowledge test at the council offices for a private hire or hackney carriage driver's licence
- Submit application form for the licence along with the appropriate fee.
- Disclosure & Barring Service check (formally CRB)
- DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) check
- Medical check
- Right to work check
- Hackney Carriage guidance notes
- Private Hire guidance notes
- Initial driver application form
- Hackney Carriage driver's renewal form
- Private Hire driver's renewal form
- Private Hire Operator's application form
- Hackney Carriage Vehicle application form
- Private Hire Vehicle application form
- Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Fares
Please confirm which documents you are requesting.