Privacy Notice - Elected Members

Who we are and what we do

I am an elected member of Kettering Borough Council, representing the residents of my ward.  As part of my work in the community I contact officers of the Council and other organisations on your behalf to investigate your concerns and respond to your enquiries.

I am registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office as a Data Controller, my registration details can be found on the ICO website

What type of personal information do I collect and how do I collect it?

When I do constituency work for you, I might collect the following information to help you:

  • Name
  • Address
  • Contact telephone number
  • Email addresses

In some cases, such as assisting you with specific issues or specific organisations, I might need additional information such as:

  • Your National Insurance Number
  • Your date of birth
  • Your signature
  • Information about your health needs
  • Details of family members

On rare occasions I might handle special category data, such as your medical information.

How I collect personal information

I collect information in various ways, for example:

  • When we meet in the community or at my surgeries
  • When you telephone or email me
  • When you send a written letter

What is my power to obtain and use your personal data?

There must be a lawful basis to allow me to collect and use your personal information.  The following will apply:

  • Consent – you provide me with your information and ask me to act on your behalf
  • Protect your vital interests – in a life or death situation or to protect you or another person from harm.
  • A task in the public interest or part of my role – as a Councillor I am authorised to use your personal information for certain tasks.
  • Legitimate interests – I need to process your data for my legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of a third party.
  • Establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims – whenever courts are acting in their judicial capacity.
  • Substantial public interest

What is your personal information used for?

  • To investigate and respond to your request for advice, guidance or information
  • To investigate and respond to an enquiry or a complaint you have contacted me about

Will your personal information be shared?

In some cases, to enable me to deal with your issues, I may share your information with other organisations such as:

  • Department for Work & Pensions (DWP)
  • National Health Service (NHS)
  • Local authorities eg. Kettering Borough Council or Northamptonshire County Council
  • Schools
  • Charities

Where possible, I will let you know when I have shared the information.  In some cases it may not be possible to tell you that information is shared, for example an investigation or a Police matter.

How do I keep your personal information secure?

I will keep your information securely.  In addition to the security provided by the Council and/or my devices, I will safeguard access to any information you provide me.

How long will I keep your personal information?

As part of my work keeping track of your case, I will retain your information for 6 years after your case has been dealt with.  Some information, such as scheduling meetings is held for less time.

Is your personal information processed overseas?

Usually I do not send your personal information outside the European Economic Community.  If I do or any reason (such as using cloud computing servers with overseas data centres) I will let you know and ensure that it is done within the appropriate procedures and safeguards as set down by the Information Commissioner’s Office.


I will not use your information, or pass it onto another organisation for marketing or sales purposes without your prior express consent.

What are your rights?

Your Information Rights are set out in law.  You have a right to:

  • To request a copy of the personal information I hold about you;

Subject to some legal exceptions you have the right:

  • To have any inaccuracies corrected;
  • To have your personal data erased;
  • To place a restriction on the processing of your data;
  • To object to processing; and
  • To request portability of your data

To exercise any of these rights, please contact me directly.  My contact information can be found by visiting the Councillor's Page

If you have a complaint about the way in which your personal data has been handled by me; you are unhappy with how I am looking after your information; or believe I am processing your personal data outside of the law, you can complain to the

Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO)
Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

Telephone – 0303 123 1113 or 01625 545745
Fax – 01625 524510