Go to the new North Northamptonshire Council website

Universal Credit

Am I Impacted?

Working Age

If you are working age you will not be able to make a new claim for:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Tax Credits
  • Income Support
  • Income based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income based Employment Support Allowance

You will need to claim Universal Credit. The only time a working age person should still claim Housing Benefit is when you are living in Specified Accommodation or Temporary Accommodation (still claim Universal Credit but you get Housing Benefit from the Council instead of Universal Credit housing cost).

Pensioners and Mixed-Age Couples

If you're mixed-age couple (one working age and one pensioner), you will need to claim Universal Credit.  If you're a single pensioner, or two pensioners in a couple, you are not impacted by Universal Credit at this stage and can claim Housing Benefit via the Council.