What's An Overpayment?

What's an Overpayment?

An overpayment is when we pay you or your landlord an amount of Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support, but you were not entitled to receive it. If we have paid you too much, we will usually ask you to pay back the amount we have overpaid. 

They happen for various reasons incuding not telling us about a change of income (work or benefits), address or household members. 

You must tell us about any changes straight away because it takes us time to deal with them.

Even if you have told the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) about your change in circumstances, you must still let us know and not leave it to the DWP to tell us.