Apply for Extra Support

People who are entitled to Housing Benefit or Universal Credit Housing Costs (UCHC) and can't afford to pay their rent costs may also be able to claim Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs).

These payments may be used to meet shortfalls in rent where you are affected by the room restriction, benefit cap or other factors that reduce your benefit.

The Government gives the Council a limited amount of money to help in these circumstances, so we will look at your financial circumstances to establish if you have a shortfall in your rent or housing costs.