Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

Could I be Entitled to Help with my Rent and Council Tax Payments?

Universal Credit

New benefit claimants of working age or mixed aged couples (one working age, one pensioner) will likely have to claim Universal Credit for their Housing Benefit unless they fall under an exemption.  Single pensioners or two pensioners in a couple would not be impacted by Universal Credit at this stage.  Council Tax Support has to be applied for via the council regardless of Universal Credit.  If you are unsure if Housing Benefit needs to be applied for via the Council or Universal Credit please contact the Department for Work and Pensions.

Housing Benefit

You can potentially claim Housing Benefit via the Council if you are:

  • Council Tenant
  • Paying rent to a private landlord
  • Housing Association tenant
  • Living in a hostel
  • Paying for board and lodgings
  • Unemployed or unable to work
  • Working and earning a low wage

Who cannot claim Housing Benefit via the Council?

  • People with savings over £16,000 (except those in receipt of Guaranteed Credit)
  • People living with or paying board to a close relative
  • People who are from outside the UK who do not have recourse to public funds
  • There are special rules for students and people living in residential/nursing homes
  • People claiming Universal Credit cannot claim for Housing Benefit but may be entitled to Council Tax Support
  • People who are impacted by a benefits cap may find they can't claim or find the amount they can claim is reduced

If you own your own home we are unable to assist with your mortgage payments. You will have to contact the Department for Work and Pensions if you require this help.

Council Tax Support

You can claim Council Tax Support if you are:

  • A homeowner
  • Liable to pay the Council Tax