Apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

Could I be Entitled to Help with my Rent and Council Tax Payments?

New benefit claimants of working age will likely have to claim Universal Credit for their Housing Benefit unless they fall under an exemption.  Bear in mind Council Tax Support still has to be applied for via the council regardless of Universal Credit.  Pensioners are not impacted by Universal Credit at this stage.  If you are unsure if Housing Benefit needs to be applied for via the council or Universal Credit, give us a call on 01536 410333 and we will be able to clarify.

You can claim Housing Benefit if you are:

  • Council Tenant
  • Paying rent to a private landlord
  • Housing Association tenant
  • Living in a hostel
  • Paying for board and lodgings

You do not have to be unemployed or unable to work, you can apply if you are working and earning a low wage.

You can claim Council Tax Support if you are:

  • A homeowner
  • Liable to pay the Council Tax

If you own your own home we are unable to assist with your mortgage payments. You will have to contact the Department for Work and Pensions if you require this help.

Who cannot claim?

  • People with savings over £16,000 (except those in receipt of Guaranteed Credit)
  • People living with or paying board to a close relative
  • People who are from outside the UK who do not have recourse to public funds
  • There are special rules for students and people living in residential/nursing homes
  • People claiming Universal Credit cannot claim for Housing Benefit but may be entitled to Council Tax Support
  • People who are impacted by a benefits cap may find they can't claim or find the amount they can claim is reduced