Go to the new North Northamptonshire Council website

Benefits - Test and Trace for Parents / Guardians

Eligible individuals can make a claim up to 42 days after the first day of an individual’s period of self-isolation. Applications made after 42 days cannot be accepted. Only one application can be made by one parent / guardian per household. 

If you meet the following criteria, you may be entitled to the Test and Trace Support payment of £500:

  • You are a parent or guardian of a young person in the same household who is self-isolating and you need to take time off work to care for them
  • You are employed or self-employed;
  • You cannot work from home and will lose income as a result of having to take time of work to look after a child who is self-isolating
  • The young person has:
    • tested positive for COVID-19 and is aged 15 or under, or aged 25 or under with an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan
    • been identified as a close contact of someone with COVID-19 (by NHS Test and Trace, their education or care setting or the NHS COVID-19 app), is aged 18 to 25, is not fully vaccinated and has an EHC Plan
  • The young person normally attends an education or care setting
  • You are currently receiving at least one of the following benefits: Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, income-related Employment and Support Allowance, income-related Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit and / or Pension Credit.  

Discretionary payments

You may be eligible for a £500 discretionary payment if you are not in receipt of an eligible benefit, but meet all the other eligibility criteria above and:

  • You have less than £3,000 in capital or savings
  • Will suffer financial hardship as a result of the self-isolation (an income and expenditure form must be completed)
  • You are not in full time education

PCR test needed

Applications based on a positive lateral flow test cannot be accepted. If you wish to claim the test and trace support payment you must have a PCR test.

Adult social care

If you are employed in adult social care, your employer will have received ICF funding to cover your earnings for the period of your self-isolation, and therefore you will not be eligible for the support payment as you will not have had a loss of income due to self-isolation.