Benefits - Appeal Against Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

When we assess housing and council tax benefit we will notify you of your entitlement to housing and council tax support in writing. This will include how your entitlement was calculated.  If you disagree with the decision made you can ask us to look at your decision again. You can appeal against the decision and ask for an Independent Appeals Tribunal to consider your case.

If you are unsure how we made the decision you can ask for a written statement of reasons.

If you want to follow one of the these options you must write to Kettering Borough Council Benefit Office within one calendar month of the date of the decision letter.

What happens if I want to appeal against the decision?

If you disagree with our decision and you would like to appeal you must complete this form stating the decision you are appealing against and your reasons for appeal.

Please note: If your appeal is outside the one calendar month time limit only in exceptional circumstances may your appeal be accepted. If your appeal is outside the one calendar month time limit include your reasons for this limit in the appeal form.

What happens once I have completed the appeal form?

When the Appeals and Overpayments Officer receives your appeal they will check the decision again. If it is found that the decision is incorrect then we will change it. You will be notified in writing of any changes made to your claim. 

If the decision does not change then the Appeals and Overpayments Officer will send your appeal along with a copy of the facts relating to the decision to The Appeals Service to make an independent decision. 

If you have any queries regarding your appeal or any benefit matter please contact our advice line on 01536 534235

However if you would like independent advice you can contact:

Citizens Advice Bureau
Municipal Offices
Bowling Green Road
Kettering Borough Council
NN15 7QX

Tel: 01536 482281
Open 9.00am - 2.00pm Monday to Friday.