Go to the new North Northamptonshire Council website

Advertisement Consent Guidance

Record details

Application Form
Advertisement Consent
Guidance for advertisement consent.

What is an advertisement?
The term “advertisement” covers a very wide range of advertisements and signs including:
- posters and notices
- placards and boards
- fascia signs and projecting signs
- pole signs and canopy signs
- models and devices
- advance signs and directional signs
- estate agents' boards
- captive balloon advertising (not balloons in flight)
- flags
- price markers and price displays
- traffic signs
- town and village name-signs

Memorials and railway signals are not regarded as advertisements

When is advertisement consent required?
Many outdoor advertisements require express consent before they can be lawfully displayed.

Some advertisements are not regulated by the planning authority, and others benefit from 'deemed consent', which means an application is not needed. Others will need the 'express consent' of the Local Planning Authority, and these require an application.

Types of advertising which are likely to need express consent include:
- the majority of illuminated signs
- advertisements using specialised structures for their display, such as poster hoardings and most non-highway authority roadside advance warning or directional signs
- signs positioned above 4.6 metres in relation to buildings above the level of the bottom part of first floor windows or on gable ends
- advertisements that do not relate to the business on the premises on which they are displayed

Applicants should refer to the Town and Country Planning (Control of Advertisements) Regulations for details.

Express consents are only ever granted for a limited period. This is generally for five years but may be longer or shorter. Unless a condition of the consent requires the discontinuance of the display, advertisements may continue to be displayed after the expiration of the limited period, by virtue of deemed consent. If you require a specific period for your proposed display you may request such a period within your application.
Further Information