Council further supports Kettering Town Centre
Published Wednesday, 06 June 2012
Package of Measures Unveiled
On the 12th June, Kettering Borough Councils Executive Committee will consider a package of measures aimed at further boosting Ketterings town centre economy.
It was recently announced that the award winning restaurant chain Prezzo aim to be the first occupants of the Market Place Restaurant buildings. The Council is backing up this good news with proposals to:
- Bring forward proposals to take more traffic out of Gold Street and High Street
- Redesign and improve the look and feel of the heart of the town centre
- Help with Improvements to the frontage of the Newlands Centre in Newlands Street and improve the bus interchange at the Newlands Centre
- Introduce a big screen in the town centre to show sporting events and other high profile national celebrations
- Trial a new two hour £1.50 car parking charge at the London Road car park to provide better value and encourage more people to stay in the town centre for longer.
On top of this, the Council will also be:
- Smartening up some vacant shop units in the town centre to help them let and improve the look and feel of the town centre
- Put in place a series of new lamp-post banners at Horsemarket, Market Street, Market Place and Sheep Street.
The Council is also able to welcome the interest of three other new café and restaurant investors in the town centre.
See the committee report Delivering Town Centres