Hello, sign in to your account. New customer? Register here.

Ending a Council tenancy

Ending a housing tenancy with Kettering Borough Council

You must give Kettering Borough Council 4 full weeks notice that you want to give up your tenancy. A 'notice to quit' form should be completed and returned to us. The form explains your responsibilities during the last 4 weeks of the tenancy before you hand in the keys. We recommend that you read the form carefully before completing it.

  • In the cases of a joint tenancy, one tenant can give notice on the property. However, we will need to speak to the other tenant.
  • When somebody has died, only the executor of the deceased person’s estate (that is the person (s) named in the tenant’s will as legal executor), or alternatively Kettering Borough Council, as landlord can legally end the tenancy. For further information please download the leaflet here or contact the Neighbourhood Management team.

You do not need to complete a 'notice to quit' if you are mutually exchanging your property.

If you are moving to a housing association property you need to complete a 'notice to quit ' and discuss your notice period with your Neighbourhood Manager.

Download a Notice To Quit form

Get in touch with Kettering Borough Council

Email: customerservices@kettering.gov.uk. Telephone: 01536 410333.

Full contact details. Send us your feedback.