Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licencing
Hackney Carriage Test
Before you apply for a hackney carriage licence you need to take a Knowledge Test at the Council's offices. This is charged at £25.00 per test and includes one resit, the fee is due at the time of booking the test.
The test is written, comprises of 10 questions and will last 45 minutes.
You will be expected to obtain 8/10 to pass. There are three papers, and on failure of a paper you may book again to retry the second and third papers (maximum 3 papers).
After failing three papers you cannot take another Hackney Carriage Test for one year from the date of last test taken.
The tests are conducted at the Council offices every other Tuesday. To book a test, you can:
- Complete an online request form,
- Email us at email@example.com,
- Telephone us on 01536 534307, or
- Come and see us at one of our Customers Service Centres in Kettering, Burton Latimer, Rothwell or Desborough.
Last updated 19/10/2016
Pages in Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licencing
- 1. Introduction
- 2. Notes for Applicants for Hackney Carriage and/or Private Hire Driver Licences
- 3. You are here: Hackney Carriage Test
- 4. Private Hire Test
- 5. Hackney Carriage & Private Hire Vehicle Inspections
- 6. Specification for Licensing of Hackney Carriages and Private Hire Vehicles (not renewals)
- 7. Fees and Charges
- 8. Authorised Hackney Carriage Fares
- 9. Reporting Accidents
- 10. Taxi Ranks
- 11. Taxi Policy Consultation 2016