Collection of large domestic items
Kettering Borough Council can arrange for large items to be collected as part of your domestic waste service.
A definition of what can be taken as part of the Bulk Collection Service is 'Items you would normally take with you when moving house'. All items must be clearly listed on the booking.
|We CAN remove
|| We CAN NOT remove
We will take a maximum of 6 items per collection and due to the popularity of this service it is limited to a maximum of 2 collections per address per year.
The charge for this service is £25.00 and you will be asked for payment in advance.
As well as being able to book online you can book and pay over the phone or come into our customer service centre.
- If you are aged 60 or over, a student or under 18 the charge is reduced to £12.50.
- If you are in receipt of Housing or Council Tax benefit the charge is reduced to £6.00.
To book a discounted bulk collection please contact Customer Services on 01536 532423 or visit one of our Customer Service Centres with proof of eligbility.
Important points regarding this service:
- Only items clearly listed on your application will be taken.
- Items should be presented at the kerbside by 6:30am on the day of your collection.
- Apart from in exceptional circumstances, KBC's employees will not enter private property to collect items. The Customer Service staff will determine the validity of a request for the employees to collect the items from inside house. However, we cannot collect items from properties with a large amount of steps.
- The day of collection will depend on what the items for removal are. General goods will be collected on the normal day of your refuse collection (black bin) whereas 'White goods and electrical items' (washing machines, refrigerators, etc.) will be collected by a separate vehicle on a Wednesday
- The size of items is important, as anything too large for two people to manoeuvre cannot be accepted. Long objects (over six feet long) and bulky units such as large wardrobes may not be acceptable.
- Soft goods such as settees and chairs should be protected from the weather as sodden items can not be removed; under cover or large plastic sheets should suffice.
- A bed base and a mattress are classed as two items. A dinner table and four chairs will be classed as five items.
- We cannot take fridges or freezers that still have their contents in them. Please ensure they are cleared out before you present them for collection.
Alternative Methods of Disposal
General items from a bulk collection will be disposed of at landfill. If you have items such as furniture which are still in good condition they could be reused, rather than disposed of.
Phoenix Furniture (Kettering) Ltd is a registered charity who rely on furniture donations to assist those on low incomes in furnishing their homes.
The British Heart Foundation also takes donations of furniture and electrical goods. Your local Store is on High Street, Kettering and can be contacted on 01536 410388.
Alternatively you can take these items to the Household Waste Recycling Centre, Garrard Way, Kettering.
A definition of what can be taken as part of the Bulk Collection Service is 'Items you would normally take with you when moving house'. All items must be clearly listed on the form. On a bulk collection we will take a maximum of 6 items per collection and due to the popularity of this service it is limited to a maximum of 2 collections per address per year.
Last updated: 20/06/2016