Privately Rented Accommodation
Landlords - Gas & electrical appliances
Safety of gas and electrical appliances
You are required by the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 to ensure that all gas appliances are maintained in good order and that an annual safety check is carried out by a tradesman who is registered with Gas Safe. Gas Safe Registered engineers can be found on the Gas Safety Register website or by calling 0800 408 5500.
You must keep a record of the safety checks and issue it to the tenant within 28 days of each annual check. You are not responsible for maintaining any gas appliances the tenant is entitled to take with him or her at the end of the letting.
You should ensure that the electrical system and any electrical appliances that you supply such as cookers, kettles, toasters, washing machines and immersion heaters are safe to use.
Further information on health and safety in rented accomodation is available on the DirectGov website
Last updated 21/05/2010
Pages in Privately Rented Accommodation
- 1. Information
- 2. Information for private tenants
- 3. Information for private landlords
- 4. Landlords - Repair responsibilities
- 5. You are here: Landlords - Gas & electrical appliances
- 6. Landlords - Fire Safety
- 7. Landlords - Fire safety of furniture and fittings
- 8. Fair Rent Inspections
- 9. Changes from April 2007 Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme
- 10. Houses in Multiple Occupation