Hello, sign in to your account. New customer? Register here.

The Police and Antisocial Behaviour

Photograph of Police Community Support Officers on Kettering High Street

The police service is a key partner in tackling antisocial behaviour. A national Police website now provides access to street-level crime maps and data, as well as details of your local policing team and beat meetings. To visit the national site - Police.UK

Police community support officers

Police community support officers (PCSOs) are employed by the police as part the Safer Community Teams to tackle antisocial behaviour in the community and improve the quality of life for residents. They provide a visible patrolling presence and an effective crime deterrent.

PCSOs spend much of their time on patrol in communities, and can be approached with any questions or worries you have about anti-social behaviour or crime in an area. 

They have a range of powers, for example they can issue fixed penalty tickets for minor antisocial behaviour and demand the name and address of a person acting in an antisocial manner. They may also confiscate alcohol being consumed in a public place, and seize vehicles that are being used to potentially harm other people.  

The Police have a range of information on antisocial behaviour available on their own website www.northants.police.uk

What action can be taken?

Antisocial behaviour causes harm to individuals and the community and must be stopped as soon as possible.

The goal of any action is to:

  •     protect victims, witnesses and the community
  •     enable the perpetrator to understand the consequences of their behaviour
  •     make sure the perpetrator changes their behaviour.

Measures that can be used by the police and other agencies include:

  •     warning letters and interviews, contracts and agreements
  •     fixed penalty notices and penalty notices for disorder
  •     parenting orders, individual support orders, noise abatement notices, injunctions, dispersal powers and antisocial behaviour orders (ASBOs)
  •     'crack house' closure orders
  •     possession proceedings against a tenant.

Action may be initiated by a number of agencies including the police, local authorities, registered social landlords, housing trusts and youth offending teams.

Get in touch with Kettering Borough Council

Email: customerservices@kettering.gov.uk. Telephone: 01536 410333.

Full contact details. Send us your feedback.