LDF Background Studies
North Northants Housing Market Assessment
Understanding housing characteristics, need and demand and the drivers of market change
Kettering Borough Council, along with the three other local authorities in North Northamptonshire (Corby, Wellingborough and East Northants), have commissioned Fordham Research to carry out one of the first Housing Market Assessments (HMA) in the country, which the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) has said all local housing authorities must carry out.
The HMA is more than a traditional housing needs study. It will provide a much wider view of local people's experiences, issues, circumstances and what they think they will need in the future.
The local authorities received a grant from the Regional Housing Board of £40,000, which together with a contribution from each partner will fund the study which will help to shape the future of housing across the whole area and will influence policy making.
As part of the HMA the researchers will be contacting 15,500 residents from a random sample across Kettering Borough and asking them to complete a questionnaire. These will be posted out in August and are part of the larger survey of over 50,500 households across the North Northamptonshire authorities.
The results of the survey questionnaire will feed in to the HMA report. The final HMA report is forecast to be complete in Spring 2007. The HMA will help to develop a good understanding of how housing markets operate, particularly in terms of need and demand in communities. Reflecting the objectives and approach set out in PPS3, it is primarily intended to assist local authorities and stakeholders to plan for housing in sub-regional housing markets.
The Draft Housing Market Assessment is available to view on the North Northamptonshire Joint Planning Unit website.
Any queries on the HMA and the questionnaire being sent to households should be directed to Kettering Borough Council's Housing Strategy Team.
Last updated 19/01/2011
Pages in LDF Background Studies
- 1. Kettering Borough Documents
- 2. Local Plan Review Issues Paper 2002
- 3. Strategic Housing Land Availability Assessment (SHLAA)
- 4. You are here: North Northants Housing Market Assessment
- 5. Strategic Flood Risk Assessment (SFRAs)
- 6. Jointly Prepared Documents
- 7. Employment Land
- 8. Annual Monitoring Report
- 9. Background paper: Housing
- 10. Kettering Urban Extension Strategic Design Guidance
- 11. Kettering Retail Sites Study
- 12. PPG17 Open Space Needs Assessment
- 13. Gypsy & Traveller Accommodation Assessment
- 14. Kettering Town Centre AAP Topic Papers - Retail, Commercial & Housing