Hello, sign in to your account. New customer? Register here.

View further pages in...

Report Fly-tipping

A Guide for Householders

Your legal responsibilities

Whether you are disposing of waste on a regular basis or once in a while, you have a duty of care which legally requires you to ensure your rubbish is disposed of properly. This is outlined in the Environmental Protection Act 1990.

The duty of care affects anyone who produces, carries, disposes of or otherwise holds any household waste.

The law requires you to do all that is reasonable to:

  • Prevent anyone disposing of your household waste unlawfully, including appliances and building debris – you could be held responsible if someone else disposes of or manages your waste illegally.
  • Prevent the waste escaping from your control, or from anyone else’s control.
  • Transfer your waste only to an authorised waste carrier who is registered with the Environment Agency, your local council, or a waste manager who is permitted to accept the waste.
  • Keep all copies of waste transfer notes. The person who takes your waste away (your builder, plumber, gardener etc) must give you one of these.

Penalties you will face

If you don’t comply with your duty of care you can be fined up to £5,000 for each offence at a Magistrate’s Court. Serious cases heard at higher courts can incur an unlimited fine. Ignorance will not be a defence if your waste is fly-tipped by someone else, even if you’ve paid for it to be taken away – so make sure you do the checks. People caught fly-tipping can be arrested, fined up to £50,000, be imprisoned and get a criminal record.

Advice to Dispose of household waste legally

The following advice will help you dispose of household waste legally if you are using builders or contractors to carry out work on your home, having a clear out or a general tidy up:

  1. Make sure the person collecting your rubbish is authorised to do so. This can be done by contacting the Environment Agency on 08708 506 506 or visiting the Environment Agency website. You can also ask to see their waste carrier licence. If you do not make the check, you could be fined up to £5,000

  2. Keep a note of their details, including the vehicle registration number.

  3. Provide a full description of the waste for the person taking your rubbish giving details of any unusual characteristics that could affect how they plan to handle or dispose of it.

  4. Keep all paperwork.

  5. If you are disposing of waste yourself, you can go to one of Northamptonshire’s ten Household Waste Recycling Centres. All sites provide recycling facilities for:
  • Garden waste
  • Cardboard
  • Paper
  • Glass bottles and jars
  • Textiles and clothing
  • Fluorescent tubes (up to four per year)
  • Scrap metal
  • Electrical and electronic equipment (limits apply on certain items)
  • Soil, hardcore and rubble
  • Wood and timber
  • Used engine oil
  • Car batteries

Find your nearest Household Waste Recycling Centre

There are ten sites across the county, check the Northamptonshire County Council website for opening times. All sites are closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day.

The waste recycling centre for Kettering:

Garrard Way
Telford Way Industrial Estate
NN16 8TD

Download Fly-tipping: A Guide for Householders 

Get in touch with Kettering Borough Council

Email: customerservices@kettering.gov.uk. Telephone: 01536 410333.

Full contact details. Send us your feedback.