Interview Hints and Tips
Preparation for Interview
If you experience nervousness before an interview you are not alone, but the more preparation you do beforehand, the more confident you will be. The interview is your chance to sell your skills and attributes to a potential new employer.
Before the interview you should:
- Research the organisation and its business sector thoroughly to get a good idea of their background - look at their web site, read their annual report, ensure that you are up to date on any 'live' media issues relating to the organisation. Work this information into the interview to show how serious you are about the position
- Find out who will be interviewing you - it could throw you if, instead of the one-to-one interview you had imagined, you are faced with an interview panel of six people.
- Check the format of the interview - for example will there be any personality or aptitude/skills testing?
- Ask if you are required to bring any additional materials such as proof of qualifications, driving licence or proof of I.D.
- Read through your application, thinking through your career to date. To do well at the interview you will need to convince the interviewer you are technically qualified to do the job. You will also need to show that you are sufficiently motivated to get the job done well and that you will fit in with the company's organisational structure and the team in which you will work.
- Try to anticipate the general questions which you may be asked and prepare your answers.
- Practice answering questions. Get a friend or family member to help you role play the interview situation.
- Be ready with a few questions for the interviewer(s) which show that you have done your homework about the organisation and its business. The recruiter wants to know that you are genuinely interested in their organisation.
- Prepare your journey to the interview destination well in advance - ensure you are familiar with the route and available parking. If using public transport, check bus/train timetables. Allow extra time in getting to the interview in case of unforeseen circumstances such as heavy traffic.
Last updated 12/10/2011