Registration of Food Premises
Who needs to register?
If you run a food business you must tell (or arrange for someone else to tell) the local authority about any premises you use for storing, selling, distributing or preparing food.
Registration applies to most types of food business, including catering businesses run from home and mobile or temporary premises, such as stalls and vans.
If you have more than one premises, you will need to register all of them.
Food premises include:-
- home caterers and cake bakers
- staff canteens
- kitchens in offices
- guest houses
- delivery vehicles
- buffet cars on trains
- market and other stalls
- hot dog and ice cream vans etc.
If you use vehicles for your food business in connection with permanent premises such as a shop or warehouse you only need to tell the local authority how many vehicles you have. You do not need to register each vehicle separately. If you have one or more vehicles but no permanent premises, you must tell the authority where they are normally kept.
Anyone starting a new food business must register with the local authority at least 28 days before doing so. Registration is FREE.
The majority of premises will have to be registered. However, certain premises are exempt from registration, e.g. some which are already registered for food law purposes, certain agricultural premises, motor cars, tents and marquees (but not stalls), some domestic premises and some village halls.
You should contact your local authority if you think you might be exempt, contact Environmental Health Department Administration at Kettering Borough Council on 01536 410333.
Pages in Food Safety
- 1. You are here: Registration of Food Premises
- 2. Safer Food Better Business
- 3. Food Hygiene Standards
- 4. Food Poisoning
- 5. Food Sampling
- 6. Private Water Supplies
- 7. The Private Water Supplies Regulations 2009
- 8. Risk Assessments and Sampling Requirements
- 9. Further Action in event of failure
- 10. Heartbeat Award
- 11. Heartbeat Award Holders in Kettering
- 12. Fees For Private Water Supply Sampling