Hello, sign in to your account. New customer? Register here.

Council Tax Overview and Charges

Do I have to pay Council Tax?

Most dwellings are subject to Council Tax. There is one bill per dwelling, whether it is a house, bungalow, flat, mobile home or houseboat, and whether it is owned or rented.
From 1st April 2014 there is a 50% discount for annexes which fulfill certain criteria

Council Tax is not charged on exempt properties.

How much do I have to pay?

Current charges 2014/2015

The full Council Tax assumes that there are two or more adults living in the property. If there is only one adult resident a 25% discount will be applied to the Council Tax bill. There are also a number of people who are disregarded when we look at the number of adults who live in a property.

The full amount of Council Tax is based on the band value of the property. The bandings are determined by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA). If you are already an existing bill payer, the band value of your home will be shown on your Council Tax bill. However, you can find out the band value of any property by searching on the Valuation Office Agency website or accessing our own Self Serve facility.

If you think your band value is wrong, you can contact the VOA to explain why you think it is wrong.  The VOA will go through the process with you free of charge and you do not have to employ an estate agent, solicitor, surveyor or any other person unless you choose to do so. Please visit their website or telephone 03000 501501 for further information.

If you receive certain benefits, or your income is low, you may be able to get your Council Tax payments reduced by claiming Council Tax Support.

What the Council Spends its money on

For around £3 per week, the average Council taxpayer in the Borough has access to over 100 different services provided by Kettering Borough Council.

You can view the Council's budget for 2014/15 which details what the Council expects to receive and spend.

Change in circumstances or moving home?

You must tell us immediately if there is a change in your circumstances, or you are moving into or out of Kettering borough. Please complete one of our online forms or contact us in person.

Council Tax Recovery

Information on what happens if you fail to pay the Council Tax, the recovery process and ways we can help you. If you do have trouble paying the Council Tax we may be able to spread your payments, we will need you to complete an Income & Expenditure form.

Get in touch with Kettering Borough Council

Email: customerservices@kettering.gov.uk. Telephone: 01536 410333.

Full contact details. Send us your feedback.

Council information on...