Hello, sign in to your account. New customer? Register here.

View further pages in...

Housing Benefit Overpayments

What is an overpayment?

An overpayment is when we pay you or your landlord an amount of Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support, but you were not entitled to receive it. If we have paid you too much, we will usually ask you to pay back the amount we have overpaid. 

They happen for various reasons. Here are some examples:

  • „„You may have forgotten to tell us that your income has increased, for example, you have had a pay rise or your tax credit award or pension amount has changed
  • „„Somebody may have moved into or out of your home
  • „„You may have moved out of your home and not told us
  • „„You may have started work or changed jobs
  • If you have other adults living with you, their circumstances may have changed.

You must tell us about any changes straight away because it takes us time to deal with them.

Even if you have told the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) about your change in circumstances, you must still let us know and not leave it to the DWP to tell us.

How will I know if I have an overpayment?

If we pay you too much benefit we will send you a letter detailing:

There is a lot of information in our letters which can make them quite long. You can ask us for more details if you don’t understand the letter.

Get in touch with Kettering Borough Council

Email: customerservices@kettering.gov.uk. Telephone: 01536 410333.

Full contact details. Send us your feedback.