Hello, sign in to your account. New customer? Register here.


Please note, this website will be upgraded between 25th January and 6th February 2018. It will not be possible to make online payments or complete service request forms on this site during this time.

Planning Permission

Do I Need Planning Permission?


Planning permission is only required when development occurs (Town & Country Planning Act 1990). As a general guide, you need planning permission for new buildings, major alterations to existing buildings and to change the use of buildings or land.

If you live in a house or bungalow (not a flat) you may be able to alter, extend or improve your property in a variety of ways without needing to make a planning application. This is because houses and bungalows usually have "Permitted Development" rights.

Use the Planning Portal's guidance to find out more about your proposal:

  • Interactive House - Explore the interactive semi-detached house for guidance on many common householder projects, including home microgeneration
  • Interactive Terrace - Explore the interactive terrace for guidance relating to flats, shops and basements as well as many common householder projects
  • Mini Guides - Explore the mini guides for popular household building projects including conservatories, extensions, loft conversions, outbuildings and porches.
  • Common Projects - In this section you will find planning and building regulations guidance for many common building work projects for the home.
  • Satellite, TV and radio antenna
  • Hardstanding

Larger Home Extension

If you can complete works prior to 30th May 2019, a homeowner wishing to build a larger single storey rear extension:

  • greater than four metres and up to eight metres for a detached house or 
  • greater than three metres and up to six metres for any other type of house

must notify and gain approval from the Local Planning Authority prior to development starting, by completing and submitting the Notification of a Proposed Larger Home Extension form. It is not possible to undertake this process retrospectively.

Restrictions to Permitted Development

In some instances permitted development rights are removed by a planning condition or an Article 4 Direction. It is important that you find out whether your property is affected by carrying out a permitted development constraints check.

Works / Uses Not Requiring Planning Permission

Some works / uses are not classed as "development" and therefore do not require planning permission. These can include: -

  • maintenance, improvements or other alterations inside the building;
  • works which do not "materially affect" the way the outside of the building looks;
  • changes of use within the same use class as the existing lawful use;
  • certain uses for agriculture or forestry


Taking the above information into account, if you consider the works/use does not require planning permission then you can make an application for a "Certificate of Lawfulness".  The information provided with the application is considered and if confirmed, the Authority will issue a legally binding decision.  This gives you certainty that your proposal does not require planning permission.  In addition to the peace of mind it provides, it may be asked for by purchasers if you sell your property.

If planning permission is required, a formal planning application for "Full Planning Permission" will need to be submitted.

You are responsible for establishing the necessary permissions, consents and approvals required. If you start work on property or land without obtaining the correct permission, you could be required to put things back to how they were.

Last updated: 11/05/2017

Get in touch with Kettering Borough Council

Email: customerservices@kettering.gov.uk. Telephone: 01536 410333.

Full contact details. Send us your feedback.