Love Food - Hate Waste
New Year's Resolutions
Did you know that 36% of typical black bin waste in Northamptonshire is food waste? That's a lot of food that we're all just throwing away, which costs a lot, both at the till, and at the tip!
If you want to make a difference, save yourself money and time then make your New Year's resolution this year to be storage savvy.
Love your fridge
- It's important to keep the right food in your fridge and always keep it covered.
- It's best not to put bread in the fridge. It goes stale six times faster than if you store it in a cool dark place, like a bread bin or cupboard.
- The fridge is the best place to store most of your fruit and veg, except:
- Pineapples - keep these in a cool dry place
- Onions - keep these in a cool dark place
- Remember fresh fruit needs to breath so don't store them in sealed containers.
- Apples can last two weeks longer when stored in the fridge and peppers a whole week longer!
- Keep your eggs in the fridge.
- To avoid foods like cheese, ham, meat drying out - keep wrapped, use air tight containers or bag clips
- Keep your fridge set below 5 oC. Milk goes off much quicker if your fridge is just a few degrees warmer.
Find out more
More tips, recipes and food saving ideas are always available on the
Love Food Hate Waste website.
Last updated: 04/01/2012