Hello, sign in to your account. New customer? Register here.


Please note, this website will be upgraded between 25th January and 6th February 2018. It will not be possible to make online payments or complete service request forms on this site during this time.

View further pages in...

Planning Enforcement

Breaches of planning control

Report a breach of planning control:

Please provide your name, address, phone number, email, complaint site address/location, details of what is happening (the breach), how it affects you and the developer’s name/address (if known)

Anonymous complaints will not be investigated

The Council will maintain the confidentiality of the complainant at all times.

Planning enforcement deals with breaches of planning control.  A breach happens when building works or an activity (development) is carried out which should have had planning permission.

Other types of breach include:

  • Changes of use of buildings or land without planning permission
  • Non compliance with approved plans or planning conditions
  • Illegal advertisements/signs
  • Unauthorised works to listed buildings
  • Unauthorised works to trees in conservation areas or covered by a Tree Preservation Order

All complaints will be investigated, however the Council cannot take enforcement action just because there is a breach of planning control, it must also be able to demonstrate that the breach results in an unacceptable level of harm to public amenity.

Often unauthorised development can be resolved by the submission of an application.

We would be unlikely to take formal enforcement action against something we would have granted planning permission for in the first place.

Useful information:

Last updated: 06/02/2017

Get in touch with Kettering Borough Council

Email: customerservices@kettering.gov.uk. Telephone: 01536 410333.

Full contact details. Send us your feedback.