Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licencing
The Borough Council's role is to ensure that hackney carriages and private hire vehicles licensed by the Authority are sound and safe and that licence holders are fit and proper persons. Licences are issued for vehicles, drivers and private hire operators.
It is the Environmental Health Departments' responsibility to carry out enforcement on unlicensed activities, and ensure compliance with licence conditions, along with ensuring all complaints received are dealt with quickly and are fully and fairly investigated. All road traffic offences and dangerous driving should be reported to the Police.
Hackney Carriage licenced vehicles are available at the ranks or may be flagged down. They are also accessible to wheelchair users.
Private Hire licenced vehicles must be booked by telephoning the Operator in advance. Drivers of these vehicles cannot accept flag downs or pick up without being pre-booked.
You can make an application to Kettering Borough Council for a licence to drive a hackney carriage and / or private hire vehicle. The prospective applicant must be over 21 years of age and must of held a full driving licence for at least one year.
The application process for obtaining a licence to drive a hackney carriage and / or private hire vehicle includes the following:
Applicants need to:
- Take a knowledge test at the Council offices for private hire vehicles or hackney carriages (£25 to include one test and one resit)
- Submit application form for the licence along with the appropriate fee.
Once your application is submitted, we will carry out:
- A criminal records bureau check
- A DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) check
- A medical at the Council offices
Documents Available to Download
Hackney Carriage guidance notes
Private Hire guidance notes
Initial driver application form
Hackney Carriage drivers renewal form
Private Hire drivers renewal form
Private Hire Operators application form
Hackney Carriage Vehicle application form
Private Hire Vehicle application form
Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Fares
Pages in Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licencing
- 1. You are here: Introduction
- 2. Notes for Applicants for Hackney Carriage and/or Private Hire Driver Licences
- 3. Hackney Carriage Test
- 4. Private Hire Test
- 5. Hackney Carriage & Private Hire Vehicle Inspections
- 6. Specification for Licensing of Hackney Carriages and Private Hire Vehicles (not renewals)
- 7. Fees and Charges
- 8. Authorised Hackney Carriage Fares
- 9. Reporting Accidents
- 10. Taxi Ranks
- 11. Taxi Policy Consultation 2016