What is Domestic Abuse?
Don't Suffer in Silence...
Do you feel scared of someone you live with?
Is someone you love hurting you either physically or emotionally?
Do you feel isolated or unable to meet friends or family?
Does a partner or family member restrict your finances?
If you answered yes, then you may be experiencing domestic abuse.
Domestic Abuse is any incident of threatening behaviour, violence or abuse (psychological, sexual, financial or emotional) between adults who are or have been intimate partners or family members regardless of gender.
No two peoples experience of domestic abuse will be the same.
This can mean:
- Putting the person down or making the victim feel bad about themselves
- Playing mind-games and making the person feel they are stupid or going mad
- Enforced isolation from family or friends
- Trying to keep the person from getting a job
- Making the person ask for money or withholding money
- Actual or threatened physical harm
- Making another person do sexual things against their will
- Making someone afraid by smashing things and destroying things
- Making or carrying out threats to hurt someone emotionally - threatening to take the children away or commit suicide
It can be extremely frightening to speak out about the abuse you are experiencing because you may feel ashamed, embarrassed, scared or because you do not want anyone to get into trouble.
It is important to remember that it is not your fault, you are not alone and you do not have to deal with this on your own. There are agencies in Corby and Kettering who can help you. These agencies can offer support and advice to help you take the first steps towards a safe and happy life.
If you would like to talk to someone about what is happening to you please call one of the numbers below:
- Northamptonshire Sunflower Centre - 01536 204691
- Victim Support - 01536 417119
- Northampton Women's Aid - 0845 123 2311
Wellingborough and East Northamptonshire Women's Aid - 01933 224943
- Voice - for children and young people - 0300 303 1965
- Kettering General Hospital's Domestic Violence Advisor - 07557 776040 Relationship Health Check leaflet